Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Akeelah and the Bee

I watched this movie with my mom a few days ago. I loved it more than...most other movies. I don't think I've ever been so worked up about a spelling Bee before, not even my own! But on of my favorite quotes was in the movie:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
-Maryanne Williamson


When I get a chance I'm going to have that framed and put in my room.

It reminded me of Girls Camp, because while we were thinking about themes, we wanted something to go with Virtue, (for those of you who don't know, Virtue is the newest Young Woman Value, and its color is gold) and I thought of Proverbs 31:10, "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies", and from there we decided the theme of GC this year will be "Far Above Rubies". It's ward camp, so we are doing ALL the planning. It's camping. [Camping is intense and in-tents]BUT don't tell my sister! It's her first year of camp, and my last year, so I have to carefully keep her out of the loop for EVERYTHING!
Also, March 26-28 my high school orchestra is competing in the National Heritage Festival in L.A., at Fullerton College(I think). If anyone will be around that weekend and would like to hear us play, I believe it will be on Saturday that we actually perform. You are ALL invited. OR, sometime before that we are having our Showcase, so you can hear us perform our Festival pieces and others in our stash of music, right here at home. More details to come!

No comments: