Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Man in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for life
And the world makes you king for a day,
Just go to the mirror and look in the glass,
And see what that man has to say

For it isn’t your father or mother or wife,
Whose judgment upon you must pass.
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one looking back in the glass.

Some people may say you’re a straight-shooting chum
And call you a wonderful guy.
But the man in the glass says you’re only a bum
If you can’t look him straight in the eye.

He’s the fellow to please never mind all the rest,
For he’s with you clear up to the end.
And you’ve passed your most dangerous difficult test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

-Anonymous


I know I posted this on my facebook too, but I just love it so much! My Eighth grade english teacher made us memorize a lot of poems and passages, including the Preamble and the Gettysburg Address. I realized that after three years, I still remembered most of this poem and the Gettysburg Address. Cleaning through my room yesterday I found them both, typed up nicer copies, and taped them to my closet doors. It made me feel happy inside.
I guess I haven't updated otherwise because not much is going on. I'm helping plan girls' camp, and am both excited and weirded out because my little sister is coming this year, and it's my last. She's so little! I forget how young I used to be, until I remember that I was the same age she is, way back on Fiesta Island in San Diego for my first year of camp.
I've been on a couple dates with different boys from Chino in the last two weeks, and they were fun. I'm finally finding joy in dating to get to know someone, and group dates.
I also have been progressively driving farther and farther from home lately. I've had my license for just over four months, and for the longest time the farthest I had ever driven was to my chiropractor's office in Wildomar. Then I had to do a service project with NHS, so on Valentines day I was up at 5:30 in the morning, driving to Lake Elsinore. Then I had my first date with a Chino boy, but it was pouring rain and we were just meeting in Corona. Still: longest solo road trip+rain+dark+car with over 202,000 miles and as old as me= a very new kind of road trip. And THEN!!! Friday I had a date with a different boy in Chino, and it was a group date with two of my old friends and their boys, so I drove ALL the way to Chino, an hour drive, spent the night, then drove back home in the morning. The greatest part was that it was my second time ever making the 91 and 71 interchanges, and my first time making them alone! And I didn't die! .........it was a major accomplishment for me..........
ANYWAY have a great March everyone, and a happy Spring!

No comments: