Sunday, March 22, 2009

Orchestra Update

Hello Everyone! Tis me again. Just a couple things I wanted to say today, and I'm not going to go into any epic rants about life. I promise.

First, I just wanted to mention the passing away of a dear member of our ward and our choir president, Brother Robert Welch. He was incredible man, though maybe misunderstood. Is it wrong to say that his funeral inspired me? All six of his kids are very talented string musicians, with the exception of one daughter, who sings opera. But to hear two sons pick up the cellos, one on viola, and a son and daughter both on violin and play tributes to their father, all made me realize that while I may have, in his life, thought of him as a proud man, he had good reason to be proud! He was an incredibly accomplished man, and deserves the praises he had been given. Since he moved into our ward, I think I've played my violin in sacrament or at church functions four or five times. Each time, including at each practice, Brother Welch was the first to stand up and thank me, tell me I played beautifully, or say how much I'm improving. With his passing he has inspired me to improve my musical talents, and be sure I spread the love of music onto my future children. Also, never before have I been so touched while singing that by the 3rd line of the verse did I need to just mouth the words. Brother Welch was also a very patriotic man, and so the ward choir and congregation sang Battle Hymn of the Republic as a closing song. This is the verse that got to me:
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Thank you Brother Welch.

Also on a musical note, (haha, I'm so punny) Chaparral High School String Orchestra had our "Showcase to LA" last Friday, and I think it went pretty well. Better then expected, anyway. My mom recorded all but the first two songs, and I'm in the process of getting them all to my YouTube channel. If you get a chance, check them out please! http://www.youtube.com/user/KekiPele

Whoot! Spring Break starts now! No plans, other than work, and our Orchestra competition. Interested?
Fullerton College, I assume in the theater or performing arts center
Saturday, March 28
Listeners must be inside the performing center by 9 o'clock sharp.
Free of Charge!

No comments: