Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Adventures of Cooking at College: Day 1

Wherein this author learns that 3000 feet makes a difference.

I made my first meal in my dorm today. I was planning on Ramen, but when my roommate requested Mom's Potato Cheese Soup, I figured I might as well make the week's grocery trip today. Turns out, my total for making a humongous stock pot of soup came out to only $5.26, and I can get at least three more meals out of it! So, soup I made. Unfortunately, even with a warning, I didn't believe the altitude would make that much of a difference...until it took over half an hour to boil the potatoes. Of course, in my haste, the chunks were cut too big and I should have let them boil more. The result? A thin, VERY chunky, but tasty, Potato Cheese Soup.

It could have been worse. At least I didn't scorch it this time.

I'd love to take pictures of my dorm and show you all my lovely new living arrangements, but alas, my phone cannot take a good enough picture, and I have neither cable nor memory card port to transfer photos from my camera. I'll simply say that I love my roommates, getting in and out of bed is treacherous, and I don't really have enough room to sit up in bed...but that's all :)

I miss my family already, but I'm happy. I start classes on Friday.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Yay, college! We're stoked for you!