Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week 3. Or is it 4? Dang, can't remember.

Or, Life Continues Onward Quickly

For the sake of consistency, I figured I can start off with more food. Monday, I played with my crock-pot for the first time, and made stew! Also a first-time event, it turned out exactly as I wanted it to!
SEE!! YAY!!! My other meals are made up of a lot of Macaroni and Cheese, Ground Beef and Beans that made special appearances as Frito Mix, a taco, and two chimichangas, more bowls of Ramen, some rice, some pasta, and repeat. Oh well, At least I'm remembering to eat most of the time.

Now, I miss my family, of course, but other than the standard things I miss from home, I miss my books the most. My books were always my pretend worlds that I escaped to whenever mine lost it's spark, and they always made me happy. Unfortunately, I left home in the middle of at least four different series, and the handful I brought can't cut it! So, I miss my family, and I miss my dog, and I miss my friends, but I also miss Shane, Michael, Eve, Claire, Jace, Clary, Simon, the crazy killer Unicorn group, including Astrid, the boys, and Astrid's cousin Phil, I miss all my Dessen boys, like Owen, Dexter, Wes, and, Eli, and I miss every resident of Tortall that lived within a good 600 year span, including but not limited to, George, Rosto the Piper, Allana, Aly, Crow-man, Kel and Bekka, and I miss Fire and Brigan. I think I got everyone...my apologies if I forgot someone. There's so many!

Let's see, what else is going on...well, I had a slew of doctors appointments in the past two weeks, and the most recent one left me sick for two full days. As such, I was relegated to one of my least favorite diet plans.

Yeah, that's Mountain Dew. Proof I'm my father's daughter, right? Sprite just makes me feel more gross. Dew settles my stomach. Oh well, I know I'm weird. We can move on now.

So most of you know that here at Brigham Young University - Idaho, we have a set of guidelines called the Honor Code. It is basically our rules, but some of the things are more for our personal growth than for our safety or for the maintenance of common sense. As many Latter-Day Saints have decided to eliminate caffeine from their diets, the school campus does not sell caffeinated sodas at all. Sadly, this includes Dew. This led to my roommate and I running down to the corner store to buy some of the awesomeness. And what did I see as soon as I picked up the bottle?



You read that right. RIGHT there on the bottle of Mountain Dew, it says "Honor the Code". I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the video game it was advertising, but I was still hit by the irony, and almost put the bottle back down. Then when I went to buy it, the cashier noticed the SAME phrase, and also commented on the irony. Sigh.

College otherwise is going pretty well. I've been having some fun, and made some new friends. Last Saturday I went to a bonfire with my FHE group, and it went something like:

30 seconds later:

And for the rest of the night:


I also made a new friend today. Our meeting went something like:

'Running slightly late for class, Katie quickly opens her locker and slides out her violin, almost hitting a young man passing by.
"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" Katie says, realizing in hindsight that she should have made sure no one was there before turning her instrument into a weapon.
"No, it's fine really. I didn't want to run into your instrument, I know they get expensive. Are you alright?" The young man says with a smile.
"Ha, yeah, thanks. I really need to be more careful."
"My name's Brad, by the way." Brad said, sticking out his hand for Katie to shake. Katie awkwardly shifts her violin to her other hand so she can shake his hand and introduce herself, meanwhile dropping her music folder, which Brad hastily reaches down to pick up.
"Sorry, I should have offered my other hand." Brad says with a laugh
"Yeah, we're really good at this game."
"Well, have a good class." Brad finished, then walked off smiling.'

Ok, so maybe we're not new best friends, but I still love meeting people here. My favorite people I've met completely by accident, like by accidentally running into them, or tripping over their chair in Chemistry. Now that I think about it, my klutziness has multiplied at least three-fold since I got to this campus. Oh well.

Thanks for taking time to enjoy the pretty pictures and odd stories of my week.
I wish you all well!

Katie Helen

1 comment:

Angie Thompson said...

Okay, so I immediately want to know if Brad is cute ... because he sounds remarkably "with it" in terms of one of the best pick-up lines of this century (ouside of a novel that is). You sound as though you are enjoying yourself and I wait for each new blog installment with the same anticipation as I feel for some of my favorite authors. You have a gift Katie! (Okay, you actually have many gifts, but I was referring to your writing talent)