Saturday, June 11, 2011

Forever [Too] Young

My weeks seem to have become one slew of insanity after another. Between a bajillion and two doctors appointments, midterms, exams, and personal life, this weekend could not come soon enough.

Take heart, only one of the bajillion doctor appointments was mine. Most involve my lovely roommate and making sure she can function like a normal human being. Mine involved a trip to the student health center because my hands and wrists have been bothering me for the past three-ish weeks. As a writer, student, and violinist with an upcoming concert, hand and wrist pain isn't something I want to ignore. So I went to the doctor, explained the abuse I put my hands through, and he said the same thing that, I promise you, nearly every doctor I've seen in the past four years has told me: "Well, it sounds and looks a whole lot like _______, but you're too young to have that." This time, Carpal Tunnel gets put in the space. I guess my body just wants to be older than it really is. Regardless, he strapped me into clunky black braces (facebook has a picture), gave me some anti-inflammatories, and told me to see him in two weeks. Meanwhile, hand writing is near impossible to do legibly, typing takes twice as long as normal, and I slept with knee socks up to elbows last night so that I didn't attack myself with the Velcro. It was quite comical, if I do say so myself; the socks are lovely, blue, and striped. I went to wipe my hair out of my face in the morning, and clubbed my head with my sock/brace stump. Better than anything though, was the almost instant realization by everyone who's read my book that my braces look almost identical to the bracers my characters wear for protection while fighting. It's true: I could cause some serious damage in them!

Well, anyone who's going to be in Rexburg next Friday is welcome to come to my orchestra concert. My life is pretty boring, otherwise. Just the daily dragon fighting, not much else.

Oh, and if you see my sister today, wish her happy birthday!
I love you small child!

No comments: