Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Review Board

I kind of have this desire to start reviewing things, on top of the regular blog posts (that I haven't made in four months, oops.) I mean, I have no idea what I'd review. Everything? Books, recipes, products? Everything sounds good. But where to start?

Well, in an effort to be more thrifty, I've been trying to homemake a bunch of stuff. We go through a healthy amount of salsa in our home, and our neighbors brought us some of their scratch salsa which made me crave the not-jarred stuff even more. I started with a recipe: Alton Brown's Salsa. I usually choose Alton Brown recipes for things I've never made before because the videos that accompany them are really helpful and they are typically simple and delicious.
We hit a few snags (WinCo didn't have jalapenos or regular limes. What's up with that?) Jared substituted a couple other chiles (he can't remember what kind) for the missing jalapenos, and ended up putting the juice of five key limes in. The salsa filled the biggest bowl I own on Saturday. Today (Tuesday) we finished it off. It took about a bag and a half of chips. I meant to freeze some of it so we could have salsa whenever we needed it, but it just kept getting better the longer it sat. So, without further ado, here's my official review:
It really did get better every day. When it was first assembled, it wasn't my favorite. It was kind of...bitter? Regardless, by the time we finished it today I was inhaling it. Definitely respect the "let sit for 12 hours" instruction. I wish we'd added more heat. We weren't sure how it would turn out, so we mellowed out half the jalapenos. Next time I make it, I'll have to separate and freeze half of it before announcing that it's done.

Tada! I reviewed something! I'll get better as I go, I hope.

As far as home-life is going, Jared and I have enjoyed our little apartment. It's definitely coming together. Plus, college apartments are never dull. When I had to bail on our neighbors because I wasn't feeling well, she asked if I was positive sick, or negative sick. Nope, I'm not preggers. Funny way of asking, though! Rexburg is covered in snow, and has been for a few weeks now. We got a white Christmas! I'm (still) job hunting, and Jared starts school next week. Back to the grind we go!

No comments: