Saturday, January 26, 2013

TRB: The Cheesecake that was Meh.

Last week I mentioned that I'd be reviewing Alton Brown's Sour Cream Cheesecake recipe. (FYI, I usually embed a link in the name of what I'm reviewing to the original post. But for those who want it, I will also begin posting the full url at the bottom of the post!)

Jared liked the pacman look.



Like almost everything I make, I had to adjust to make it apartment-sized. The recipe calls for a 9"x3" round. I have a 9"x2" round, so I shrunk the ingredients to match a bit.
So here's the breakdown:

Successes:

  • It was cheesecake consistency. Always a good place to start.
  • The flavor was good. Not the best, but definitely edible. A mild cheesecake, which could appeal to picky eaters.
  • I liked the parchment paper lining idea. It could be a little on the tricky side to configure, but it made preparing and plating a breeze. It also rocks for those (like me) who lack a springform but still want that look.
  • It was pretty easy to make.
  • Jared really liked it. He ate most of it.
To Be Improved On:

  • The flavor was very mild. It hardly had any of that delicious zangy cream cheese flavor to it. It almost tasted like I left the cream cheese out completely. 
  • I know, however, that I did not leave the CC out because it was lumpy. I realize this is my fault, not the recipe's. I have been told that it results from not letting the CC soften enough. Is that true? Tell me what I did wrong in the comments, please.
  • Crust wasn't as crispy as I liked it. I'll have to bake it longer next time. 
  • Let's face it. It just wasn't mom or father-in-law's cheesecake. Sigh.
Will I make it again? Probably not. I'll beg Mom for her recipe first.


On another note, remember the pita? Sliced in half, topped with mozzarella, fresh cut roma tomatoes and green bell peppers, baked at 350 for 12 minutes. I made them for lunch and was in heaven. Jared came home and asked for his own. Score!




http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sour-cream-cheesecake-recipe/index.html

No comments: