Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Lashing

"'Welcome to the Real World' she said to me, condescendingly, 'take a seat'".
No Such Thing by John Mayer.
Humans make mistakes. This is a truth widely accepted. I make mistakes. This is a truth widely known.
Yesterday at work we were trying to call around to fill up some empty appointments for today's schedule. My Coworker suggested I try a woman scheduled for next week, so I did. I called and offered her either the 2:30 or the 3:30, and she said 'oh that's good'. [me]"ok, so 2:30 is ok? Great, see you then". [her]'ok.So today 2:30 rolls around and we're wondering where she is. She strolls in a 3:30 for her appointment, a spot I had already placed a different patient...
I apologized whole heartedly and admitted my mistake, but that doesn't always work in the professional world. This woman was UPSET. I kind of just sat there nest to my coworker for a good 15 minutes trying to work something out with her, but she was just so MAD! She finally leaves after re-making her original appointment.
10 minutes later, she calls and asks to speak to my boss. I apologetically tell her I'm sorry, he is with a patient and can't come to the phone.
'That's fine' she says 'put me on hold. I'll wait.'
So I go tell my boss the situation, and he gives me this 'you're kidding' look and tells me he is not going to sit there and take the heat for the front desks' mistake. So my supervisor gets on the phone with her and somehow magically gets the woman to accept that the Doctor will call her back later.
Nevertheless, I wanted to go home and curl up in a ball and cry. I mean, I know I've made mistakes in the office before, but I can count them on one hand...
My supervisor called me after I left to remind how grateful they were that I helped out as much as I did and that I don't have to schedule anymore if I don't want to...
But I think It'll be ok. One indecent won't crush me...I just never want to see that woman again...

2 comments:

Katie said...

it's ok, Katie - your Mommy still loves you!

Katie said...

My mommy? Mommy did you hack my blog?