Thursday, November 13, 2008

Because I Should Be Doing Homework

This is what I do when I should be doing other things. But you know, I have an excuse today. Kinda...
After going to seminary, then school, then staying for lunch and 6th period (which I usually refer to differently than school, because it's my work experience class, and I'm usually only at school for lunch and 6th period once a week, the rest of the time I leave after 5th) I went to work for a few hours to make up since I took the day off yesterday in favor of getting an extra 6 hours of sleep. So I went to work on my day off, where I got NONE of my normal work done because everyone needed help with something else... then I went to my Brianne's house to see her new and improved Cast-less foot. FINALLY I went home. But, alas, as I walk in, dear brothers girlfriend walks out with a sweet, "Hey Katie, so you know, your brothers sick upstairs. Stomach flu or something." Ok...he's asleep, I'll take care of him when he gets up. Of COURSE he only comes home when he's infectious. Unfortunately, he's awake, and of course, needy. So I get what he needs. I love my brother. I'm his closest connection to this family. BUT! Not 20 minutes later, dear sister comes home. And of course, she has caught some kind of NASTY cold, made worse when she played soccer out in the cold tonight.
One large bowl of Chicken soup and a run to the drug store later, sister is in bed, brother is crashed on the couch, Pepto- Bismal in hand, dad's at work, and mom is finally on her way home.
To reward myself for playing nurse, I decided to procrastinate. Oh WAIT!!!! I do that anyway. But, I do get to listen to Garrett's new Forgive Durden CD. If you haven't heard of Forgive Durden, it's pretty amazing. Their music is like little you've heard before. The CD I have now, called Razia's Shadow, is a musical (iTunes, $11.99). And not like the high school kind, a soundtrack. The CD tells a story. There is narration to each song, and they MUST be listened to in order, unless you enjoy not knowing the meaning of a song. Another thing I love about this album, each song features a a different artist, who's voice blends so perfectly with the song and theme, that it's literally like they have been cast into different parts of this musical. This probably is more interesting to me because three of the songs feature one of the singers from my favorite band, Greta Salpeter, of The Hush Sound.
Aside from writing a review of a new band, I SHOULD be doing history homework. I promise, I love history, loath the homework. PLEASE note: what follows is not meant to bash our country or sound unpatriotic. History is written by the winners. I'm learning some interesting stuff. Like how President James K. Polk practically begged for congress to declare war with Mexico over Texas. And how even though many may say we are a "humble nation" because we have never "conquered" anyone else, I, along with my history teacher, would like to point out: Hawai'i. Last time I checked, they had a perfectly capable queen before the white Americans came. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is that our country is NOT perfect. It as a whole has made mistakes. Our leaders have made choices that we may not see as wise, but we need to remember, we are not briefed on national security and affairs every morning. (Which also makes me wonder: does the president always get on his suit and tie EVERY morning, even when he's not in the pulic eye? Has President Bush ever met with his cabinet in his PJ's?). Anyway, we cannot expect to understand everything our leaders do, but we must trust them. No one branch can do anything without the possibility of being checked by the other two. Our constitution is living and breathing, and in that way, flawless. By the way, did anyone know that a few months ago, two entire American bases were emptied in Iraq? Not for the soldiers' safety, or because all was lost, but because in those areas, the Iraqis began to control their people exactly as we have hoped they would. But would the news tell you this? OF COURSE NOT. Why should they? Popular vote says the war needs to end, so we need to convince those that are pro-war that they are wrong and the anti-war people are right because we lost a Grand Total of 7 servicemen in the month of October. TELL PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR! Isn't that the theory of the day? Don't say it if it will offend me, don't broadcast it if it will make me uncomfortble. Just make me want what the politicians want me to want. Then we'll all be happy. Right?
Wrong. But whatever. One girl that has not even graduated high school, posting on a blog that probably reaches about...a dozen people, is not going to make the associated press stop advertising propaganda for the 11 o'clock news.
But I can rant to whoever stayed to read this entire post, right?

P.S., I'm not sure if he actually said it or not, but supposedly, President Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are racist, I will attack you with the north." Whether or not he really said it, it is still a pretty cool line, is it not?

PPS my blog has been linked on this pretty cool site called The Twilight Plains. So I'm linking back in this post, and on the side bar. Check it out! They're much more popular over there than I am; WAY more hits.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Pretty sure that was, in fact, one Michael Scott, Regional Manager of Dunder Mifflin Scranton who said that if you are a racist, I will attack you with the North. Love it.

You're a trooper, my beloved niece. Keep on keepin' on!

Katie said...

Haha I figured it was something like that. Michael Scott. Oh Dear! Hahaha!!!
And thank you