Monday, November 3, 2008

How To Accumulate General Angst

So elections are tomorrow, and I couldn't be happier. Not because I'll be using every spare moment to rock the vote, because I won't be. Not because I'm so sure my candidates will win, or my propositions will pass in my favor, because I'm not so sure they will. I'm glad that elections are tomorrow because that means the END of having to lose best friends because my religion is prejudice and hateful, of getting sworn at on street corners because I'm holding a sign that they disagree with. I'm sick of being afraid to mention anything about my views in school because I don't want to get in a confrontation with any of the kids I know will fight me for being against them. I'm sick of all the lies, slander, mudslinging, and anger coming from the men who are supposed to represent and lead our nation.
I've actually gotten a lot of angry comments from people on my own side of the issues as well for not being more supportive, not attending the meetings, not rallying in the streets. Well, that's not my style. They can get over it.
Is it bad that I've stopped praying for things to go in my favor, but instead for me and those like me to be protected from the evil-doings or bad effects of whomever and whatever is voted in? That I pray for the good people to not be punished too harshly for the ignorance and decisions of others?
I'm tired of all the contention. I'm tired of all the pointless, endless arguments that just go in circles because both sides are too close minded. I'm tired of being yelled at and sworn at and ridiculed because I think one way. I'm tired of being called ignorant and brainwashed. NEWSFLASH I've read both sides of the argument. A debater has no hope of accomplishing their goal if they don't know what accusations they'll have to defend against, and a person can have no hope of picking the correct candidate if they decide to base it solely on the candidates race or gender, religious beliefs or wealth, military history or what their spouse does in their free time. So tomorrow I will be staying in school, not attending the last ditch efforts to sway the vote. I won't be vehemently shouting at the voters as they leave the polls. I won't be waiting with my torch and pitchfork to riot as soon as I hear the results. I know we need to vote. I would if I could. I just wish that people weren't willing to go so low to get their way. People do not need to be cutting the calves of their opponent to gain a lead. They need to state the facts and nothing but the facts.
Now I have a couple stories to share. Analogies, if you will.
Say Michael Phelps was in a race one day, and realized he was behind. He's not going to turn around and cut into his opponent's lane, cutting them off! It's not fair, and he'd get disqualified from the race. So why are we not allowed to DQ the racers in politics who decide to cheat and cut off the opponent? NOT COOL.
Now I want you to think back to elementary school, back to your very first school elections. Remember that older student who promised better school lunches and more playground balls if you voted for him as president? Remember how long it took you to realize that the student you voted for actually had no power over lunches, or on how many balls the school buys? How many Americans have realized that our presidential candidates may or may not have promised some things that may or may not be in their power to promise us? Many things they have promised to accomplish, can only be accomplished by them asking congress to decide on it, and they actually have no power over that issue at all.
So that is my round-about view on politics. The elections are botched, because there's been very little debating going on anyway. People need to grow up and act like adults.

Nothing is simply black or white. Not even our candidates.

But you can't be a fence sitter, because they're electric now.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hang in there, kiddo. Our system's built so that no one person, no one law, no one idea can tear the thing down. I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it. It's amazing how intolerant the party of tolerance can be.

Christopher Sagasaki said...

Keep the faith, and all will be well. You seem to be doing a good job of that, so no worries.