Sunday, December 28, 2008

Just Some Updates on my Life

Christmas is over! A bittersweet thing...much more bitter than sweet though. And yes, I DID feel the Christmas spirit, which I'm very glad about. I'm also incredibly glad that my talk went well today and my quartet sang beautifully, and all I have left to do in my room is finish finding places for everything.
OH! I just realized I forgot to mention that. For the first time in at least ten years, I slept in my own room last night. When I say 'my own room' I mean, there was no one else in there because the room was ALL MINE! We kind of officially moved my brother out of his room and moved my sister in, gave her the bunk beds she and I had been sharing, and put me into my new big bed, a nice hand-me-down from Uncle Chris! (Thanks, by the way, for wanting a bigger bed at Grandma Sherry's house!)It finally looks like I HAVE a room, not just a hollowed out section of the house where we crammed two beds, two dressers, some shelves, and a desk. I'm not ashamed to invite friends up to SEE my room anymore either, because you can actually move inside it AND I have a floor AND there is room to THINK! The ONLY problem I have encountered with the arrangement is that I have two under-bed storage boxes left, and there is no 'under the bed'. The drawers work well, I s'pose. I just have to go through them still. AND! I got a bookcase! Because I no longer have a headboard that can hold all my books, and they really don't belong in the family bookshelf, Mom emptied out an older bookcase we had and now it is in my room! The scary part is, the 3 shelves are already almost filled with all my favorites.
Now tomorrow I'm going back to work, and Tuesday night my family will leave to visit my dad's brother in Hurricane, Utah, for New Years. I'll also be going to the New Years Stake Dance with my 15 year old cousin, so that will really be different. Then I'll be back home on Friday (I think) and then back to school on Monday! *dies inside at the thought*
Oh oh oh!!! I just saw The Best Two Years for the first time today. WHY had no one ever Velcroed me to a chair and made me watch it before? I LOVE that movie now! It was so incredible and inspiring!
Also, big shout out to my new "blogging" friends, Mama Youngest and Mama Jeager, my beautiful Young Woman's leaders! HI!

I'll get around to posting my New Years Resolutions sometime this week I hope, but we'll see.

I also had a question for my readers. I've been getting warned by a few different people that because I'm going to be filling out college applications soon, I need to get rid of my facebook, blog and other things like them. I've been told that the college admissions boards will check all these things when I apply, and see who I associate with and things like that, and that will be a very heavy factor in the admissions process. So, my question is: Do I need to delete my social networking pages? I know I'm not linked to anyone that really would put a black mark on my name, but still... so what do you think?

Love to all, and Happy New Year,

KT

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hi there. Thanks for being an awesome aunt to our little one. I think she misses all you guys now. Cute, huh?

As for your college applications, people will definitely look at your Facebook profiles, blogs, etc. The same holds true when you apply for jobs--employers look.

Truthfully, though, if you're applying to say, BYU, and you're a Facebook fan of "President Monson," "The Book of Mormon," etc. and none of your friends are saying ignorant or hateful things, then you might be okay. Worst case, call the admissions offices of schools that you're looking to apply to and ask a worker there. They'll give you the low-down.

J+S said...

Employers, colleges, friends, former boyfriends, stalkers (my peeps tell me Facebook stalking is called "creeping" which just sounds...well, creepy)...all of the aforementioned folks will check for you online. You can set your blog to private - but can I have an invite if you do? :) I have actually heard that it's fairly easy to access a private blog, but it's one more precautionary step you can take.

One more question for you: what do you think of Wii Music? I have heard mixed reviews, so I'm curious what you think. Mario and Sonic (Olympic games) is hillarious in case you haven't tried it yet.