Friday, December 12, 2008

Why English is Evil

After staying up until 11 o'clock or later for the past week working on a final project for English, which was a giant essay filled with 18 normal size ones, I finally turned it in today at a final size of 25 pages, MLA format, with a bibliography.
And last night was the best...I didn't go to bed until around 1:30, never really did read all the way through my essay to proof-read, it's actually missing a section because for the life of me I could not find a professional literary criticism of Fahrenheit 451 at one in the morning, and I drank more water while writing than I do in an average week.
My sweet mom tried to stay up with me the entire time, but she only made it 'till about 12:30.
Also last night, I had to get my sister ready for her first middle school choir performance, which took a good hour out of work time, and THEN the fun began. about half an hour before I had to drive Bailee to the school, a salesman knocks at the door, asking for the heads of the household. I didn't open the door wide, because I was using one leg to keep the dog in, but I still got a pretty good look at the guy. 15 minutes later when I went to get my binder out of the car, he was there, just leaning against the streetlight across from my house. Now there are only houses on one side of my street, and I'm towards the end, so I thought it was a weird place to stop and wait. another 15 minutes passed, I had to take Bailee to the school, and he was still there. I didn't like the looks of him, so I double checked that all the doors were locked. I mean, I TOLD him my parents weren't home, and now we were leaving. needless to say, I BOOKED it to the school and back, and when I came back, he was gone, but my doors were in tact and the dog was peacefully in his kennel, but he didn't leave my side the rest of the night, unless he was guarding the door.
I went back to essay writing, but out of curiosity, I got up to peek around my Christmas tree at the light across the street, and he was there again. Almost right then, one of my neighbors calls me up, and asks if I knew him, but I didn't. She was getting worried too, but she had to leave soon, so when I told her I was home alone, she called one of my other neighbors, and asks him to go see what's up, but he wasn't home yet. So neighbor #1 calls the police and asks them to check the guy out. I was on the phone with my mom at this point, telling her what was going on, and was still on the phone with her when police came a few minutes later. Neighbor #2 came over as soon as he got home, and said he talked to the guy, who just said his ride wasn't here yet. My neighbor also invited me to stay with him and his wife for a few hours, so I wasn't home alone, and brought in my trashcans and mail so I didn't have to go outside again. I'm so glad my neighbors are bigger guys. I sat in the window behind my tree and gave my mom a play-by-play of the police-stranger interaction. He pulled up, shined all his big lights right in the guys eyes, and talked to him for about half an hour. I saw stranger hand over his ID, and his little black book that he'd been carrying around. The policeman continued talking to him, gestured at all the houses a few times, then eventually left, with the guy still sitting on the curb.
I figured the guy's story checked out, so I went back to writing while my dog laid down in front of the door, and I turned on my house alarm system. I had probably lost a good two hours of writing by now. I checked outside and hour later, and the guy was gone, but 15 minutes after that, he was back again.
Neighbor #1 called a while later to tell me she and her husband were home again, and neighbor #2 came over to tell me that the guy had been gone for a while. He gave me his cell phone number just in case I had any problems, told me to just keep my doors locked and reset my alarm system, and he was gone too. I finally went back to writing my essay for the next 5 hours. Maybe that is why mom tried to stay up with me...
Talk about neighborhood watch. I want to bake my neighbors cookies or something, to say thanks for watching out for me last night. I know the first one let the police know there was a 16 year old girl home alone, and the police did do a few drive-byes. It reminded me of when my mom left me home and I was littler, and I kept hearing strange noises and got really scared, so I set the alarm and locked the doors that time too, until daddy came home.
AND THEN after about 4 hours of sleep, I went to seminary, slept in the back of my friends van before school, then made it all the way through first period, turned in my essay, and heading straight for the nurse during the passing period. I told her I felt sick and just wanted to go home, but she wouldn't even talk to me except to tell me I needed a pass! So I walked all the way to 2nd period, walked straight to my teacher and said "please write me a pass to the nurse. She won't see me without one." He took one look at me, handed me the pass and said "I take it you're not feeling well." I managed a weak smile and left, because I really did feel sick by this time.
I then waited for 10 minutes while the nurse finished a call about some exciting new property for sale. She finally comes over and says,"so you've got a cold?"
"I had mono a few months ago and..." she didn't let me finish my sentence.
"Ok, go ahead and give mom a call, let me talk to her, and if she says it's ok, I'll send you home." My mom and I were already secret cohorts though--if the nurse didn't let me out, she call and check me out. But I was excused, drove home, crashed in bed and slept for the next 6 hours, only waking up because my head was throbbing and I was hungry.

And that long tale is why English is evil. I blame the essay.

No comments: